FUE Hair Transplant Toronto
The follicular unit extraction technique (FUE) is similar to follicular unit grafting (FUG) in that both techniques utilize the concept of transplanting individual micrografts to the recipient site. The main difference between FUE and FUG is that FUE avoids a linear scar at the donor site incision. This is because in FUE, the grafts are harvested one at a time with precise 0.8 and 1mm punch blades.
The result is a scattered array of essentially undetectable pinpoint scars across the back of the scalp. Thus, approximately 70% of patients can shave their heads without any visible scars, while the rest are able to cut their hair quite short.
In order to perform FUE, the back and sides of the head are first shaved, and the grafts are subsequently harvested with the patient lying face down. The procedure is labour-intensive and can last several hours, depending on the number of grafts required. With smaller procedures of 500 or fewer grafts, oftentimes rather than shaving the entire head one can shave narrow “bands” of hair which can be concealed by the overlying longer hair. Even in those instances where shaving the head for a large FUE session is required, the hair tends to grow back quickly and looks nearly normal by 2 weeks.
While FUG is still the mainstay technique for hair transplantation, FUE is clearly the way forward for many patients. It is usually the best procedure for the younger male patient; the African-American patient; and/or the patient desiring reparative work who has a limited supply of donor hair. FUE is also a great technique for obtaining grafts that are to be placed into a donor site scar from a prior procedure to help reduce its visibility. In addition to their application in the scalp, FUE grafts can be used in certain cases of beard and eyebrow restoration.
PRACTICE POLICY UPDATE REGARDING COVID-19
Coronavirus (Covid-19) Update
Updated March 26th, 2020
After serious consideration and in line with the recommendations of our State and Centers for Disease Control (CDC), we decided to close the practice until at least April 7th. We will need to reassess closer to this date to determine whether or not we can open at that time or if we must remain closed a while longer.
Your health and well-being is our primary concern and we want to do our part to make sure that you are protected.
Effective immediately the following will occur:
- All procedures and in-person consultations will be suspended until at least April 7th.
- The office will be staffed, and we will see our urgent post-surgical follow-ups.
- We are instituting Virtual Consultations for all potential patients.
- Surgeries will be rescheduled.
We are constantly updating our services and staffing according to the local and national recommendations and will always place your health and well-being as our top priority.
We continue to exercise all the latest recommendations that are handed down by the Ministry of Health and Public Health. These include:
- Staff have been fully informed and trained to understand the disease process and its modes of transmission.
- All staff, vendors and ancillary personnel are being asked to refrain from coming to FACE if they have any signs or symptoms of a cold or an upper respiratory tract infection.
- Every patient is also being asked to refrain from coming to the office if they have any symptoms.
- We are asking our patients about any pertinent travel history.
- Hand-washing continues to be the most important mode of prevention. Although it is a part of what we constantly do, now we are doing so with heightened vigilance and attention.
- Social distancing and social isolation are also critically important. Please stay home if you can!
Although Covid-19 is a serious issue, we strongly believe that it will pass and hopefully make our infrastructure and our ability to deal with pandemics in this Country even better than it currently is. We are monitoring this situation on a real-time basis and will not rest until we know that we have done everything possible to avoid unnecessary exposure.
Please do not hesitate to contact us. We are always here to answer your questions.
Looking forward to moving past this and being able to continue to help our patients look and feel their best!