Beard Transplant in Toronto
A thick, full beard is an attractive and desirable look. A bold beard makes a statement – but not every man is genetically programmed to grow a thick, lush beard. With the development of advanced hair transplant technology, a beard transplant is now possible.
Dr. Ashlin Alexander is an accomplished, experienced facial plastic surgeon who has impeccable credentials. He is known throughout Toronto for his artistic approach to facial enhancements, including hair restoration and beard transplants. His priority is to deliver flawless results.
If your beard is sparse or uneven, Dr. Alexander has the surgical skills that can provide you with a thicker, fuller, natural beard that will flourish for a lifetime. The procedure, when performed correctly, requires great attention to detail including the color and angle at which the hair is implanted to create a completely natural look.
How Does a Beard Transplant Work?
A beard transplant is a surgical procedure in which hair follicles are transplanted into the beard zone. It is an attractive option for men who want to:
- Have a fuller, thicker beard
- Accentuate certain features
- Fill in uneven beard growth
- Reshape facial hair
- Want to camouflage scars
- Present a well-groomed appearance
The procedure involves harvesting healthy hair follicles. Grafts are delicately and expertly harvested from a donor area from the back or side of the head, and then transplanted to fill in an uneven beard growth pattern, or to create a thicker, more attractive beard.
Grafts may be harvested individually or from a strip. These two procedures are:
- Follicular Unit Grafting: FUG involves removing a strip of tissue from the donor area at the back or side of the head. Grafts are then carefully dissected under a microscope into follicular units and transplanted individually.
- Follicular Unit Extraction: FUE grafts are removed or extracted singly in a random pattern with a specialized surgical tool and then transplanted into the beard area.
Hair grafts are selected based on color to help ensure the transplanted hairs are a good match to existing beard hair. Each graft is individually and skillfully placed at a precisely calculated depth and direction to create a fully natural-looking result.
Customized Treatment for Beard Transplant
Your beard brings interest and structure to your features and can be a powerful enhancement to your look. Dr. Alexander uses the most advanced techniques for hair restoration and never rushes a procedure. His goal is to create the beard shape and appearance that will most effectively enhance the facial structure of the individual.
Procedure and Recovery Time
Beard transplant surgery is a safe procedure that produces excellent results when performed by our skilled surgeon – and the care with which the procedure is performed makes a significant difference in the number of follicles that survive the transplant procedure. The surgery requires from two to four hours to complete, depending on the number of grafts. Complete recovery may require one or two weeks when the strip method is used; for the FUE method, recovery requires less time.
It is essential to keep the transplanted area dry for up to a week after having surgery. Your usual activities can be resumed after a few days. We provide detailed post-transplant care instructions to help the maximum number of follicles to flourish in the new location.
Beard Transplant Results
As with any surgical or medical procedure, it is critical that it is performed by a highly-skilled medical professional with extensive experience -- and the talent to produce natural-looking results. Dr. Alexander’s years of experience, reputation for surgical excellence, and aesthetic approach have made him one of Toronto’s leading cosmetic and hair transplant surgeons. He works closely with each patient to create the perfect beard pattern and a truly natural appearance.
Your results last a lifetime. Initially, the hairs will shed, occurring approximately two weeks after the procedure. This shedding does not impact long-term growth and is to be expected. You will see substantial new beard growth in the transplanted area within several months. From that point forward, you can expect consistent natural beard growth.
Beard Transplant FAQ
How long does the surgery take?
Surgery length varies from person to person, as every individual is different. The procedure can take from two to four hours depending on the amount of work to be accomplished in your individual case.
How long should I wait to shave after getting a beard transplant?
After the procedure, wait approximately two weeks before shaving or trimming your beard. It’s important to allow sufficient time for the follicles to become set in the new location. It is normal for transplanted hair follicles to shed in the early stages of new growth. After that two-week window has passed, you can shave and style your beard.
I have facial scars – can I get a beard transplant?
Yes. Thicker, fuller facial hair is a great way to hide acne or other facial scars.
Are there side effects?
Side effects from beard transplant are mild. For best results, it is vital that you follow all aftercare instructions carefully. It is common to experience temporary swelling, redness, or some mild sensitivity in the transplanted area. These effects vary case by case and are usually minor, disappearing within a few days.
What is the difference between FUE and FUG?
FUE and FUG are the two different methods of harvesting follicular units used in a beard transplant or other hair restoration treatment. The main difference is the procedure in which the follicles are harvested from the donor area.
- UE Method: The follicles are collected as single units. This method is typically appropriate for men who have thick, healthy hair in abundance from which to harvest single follicles in a random pattern.
- FUG Method: The follicles are harvested from a strip on the back of the head, which may be an appropriate method for balding men. The hair follicles at the back of the head are not programmed for balding, and once harvested and implanted, can flourish as facial hair.
Both methods use the same technique for surgical transplantation.
How quickly will my beard grow after transplant?
You will see noticeable growth within three to six months. After the surgery, the new hairs are visible, but will then shed. This is a normal part of the process. Once the shedding cycle is complete, the new hair will begin to grow. A beard transplant will provide you with thicker, fuller facial hair for a lifetime.
How can I schedule a consultation?
If you have any additional questions about your options for a beard transplant, please do not hesitate to contact us. Dr. Alexander is a reputable leader in cosmetic surgery in Toronto, recognized for his skills in complex procedures. His background in innovation in cosmetic surgery makes him one of the most sought-after plastic surgeons in the area.
PRACTICE POLICY UPDATE REGARDING COVID-19
Coronavirus (Covid-19) Update
Updated March 26th, 2020
After serious consideration and in line with the recommendations of our State and Centers for Disease Control (CDC), we decided to close the practice until at least April 7th. We will need to reassess closer to this date to determine whether or not we can open at that time or if we must remain closed a while longer.
Your health and well-being is our primary concern and we want to do our part to make sure that you are protected.
Effective immediately the following will occur:
- All procedures and in-person consultations will be suspended until at least April 7th.
- The office will be staffed, and we will see our urgent post-surgical follow-ups.
- We are instituting Virtual Consultations for all potential patients.
- Surgeries will be rescheduled.
We are constantly updating our services and staffing according to the local and national recommendations and will always place your health and well-being as our top priority.
We continue to exercise all the latest recommendations that are handed down by the Ministry of Health and Public Health. These include:
- Staff have been fully informed and trained to understand the disease process and its modes of transmission.
- All staff, vendors and ancillary personnel are being asked to refrain from coming to FACE if they have any signs or symptoms of a cold or an upper respiratory tract infection.
- Every patient is also being asked to refrain from coming to the office if they have any symptoms.
- We are asking our patients about any pertinent travel history.
- Hand-washing continues to be the most important mode of prevention. Although it is a part of what we constantly do, now we are doing so with heightened vigilance and attention.
- Social distancing and social isolation are also critically important. Please stay home if you can!
Although Covid-19 is a serious issue, we strongly believe that it will pass and hopefully make our infrastructure and our ability to deal with pandemics in this Country even better than it currently is. We are monitoring this situation on a real-time basis and will not rest until we know that we have done everything possible to avoid unnecessary exposure.
Please do not hesitate to contact us. We are always here to answer your questions.
Looking forward to moving past this and being able to continue to help our patients look and feel their best!