Brow Lift Toronto
The upper third of the face plays an important role in establishing facial symmetry and maintaining a youthful appearance. As we age, the forehead appears to get longer: eyebrows descend, hairlines recede, wrinkles develop. These are telltale signs of aging. Others are simply born with a large forehead or low-set eyebrows. Thankfully, there is a broad range of rejuvenation techniques to help smooth out wrinkles and conservatively elevate the eyebrow position to provide a bright and refreshed appearance to your eyes and face.
As we age, the eyebrows descend, the hairline recedes, and the forehead appears longer. Sagging brows, droopy eyelids, vertical frown lines, and horizontal grooves in the forehead can contribute to a tired, sad, grumpy, and aging appearance. Dr. Ashlin Alexander can perform a brow lift in Toronto to help restore a more youthful appearance to the upper third of the face.
What Is a Brow Lift?
A brow lift is a cosmetic surgery procedure that can help reverse the effects of gravity and aging on the upper portion of the face. It tightens soft tissues to restore more youthful contours to the forehead, eyebrows, and upper eyelids. Also known as a forehead lift, a brow lift minimizes horizontal wrinkles and vertical frown lines and lifts sagging eyebrows to a more youthful position.
When a youthful brow is at rest, it is positioned above the orbital (eye socket) rim with a gradual arch. The lateral (tail) end of the brow is located higher than the medial end (closer to the bridge of the nose). Sagging that occurs with aging can leave the brow in a flat, horizontal position, inhibiting facial expression and making a person look older. A brow lift is a time-tested method to correct the problem and help rejuvenate the upper part of the face.
How Do You Know If You Might Be a Good Candidate for a Brow Lift?
One way to tell if you might benefit from a brow lift is to stand in front of a mirror, place your fingers an inch above the outer portion of your eyebrows, and use them to elevate your brows. If this creates a look you like, a brow lift may be beneficial for you.
You might be a good candidate for a brow lift if:
- • Your eyebrows have descended to or below the orbital rim
- • There is not enough distance between your eyebrows and your eyelids
- • The outer end of your eyebrow is level with or lower than the part closer to the nose
- • Sagging eyebrows are giving you a tired or grumpy appearance
- • You have deep horizontal creases in the forehead
- • You have vertical frown lines between the eyebrows or lines across the top of the nose
- • There is excess skin or fatty tissue is hanging over your eyes
How Is a Brow Lift Performed?
A brow lift is typically performed under general anesthesia or intravenous sedation. There are several different surgical techniques for performing brow lift surgery. Dr. Alexander can custom-tailor a surgical plan for you.
- • Endoscopic incisions: This technique is performed by placing an endoscope (a thin tube with a camera on the end) and specialized surgical instruments through small incisions within the hairline. In this way, the muscles and tissue beneath the skin are adjusted to lift the brow and correct creases and furrows in the forehead.
- • Coronal incision: The incision is placed within the hair-bearing skin, from ear to ear across the top of the head. The skin is lifted, allowing for direct visualization of muscle adjustments. Surgical scarring is well-concealed within the hair with this technique.
- • Anterior hairline incision: This approach may be appropriate for a patient with a very high forehead. The incision is made at the hairline to ensure that excess skin is removed from the forehead and the hairline remains in the same position. Surgical scarring with this technique can be hidden with bangs.
With any incision technique, a brow lift procedure involves adjusting the muscles, repositioning the brows, and removing excess skin to rejuvenate the area. Depending on what is most appropriate, incisions may be closed with removable sutures, absorbable sutures, or skin adhesive.
Results are visible immediately and even more dramatic when post-surgical swelling subsides and incision lines fade. You can expect to see smoother forehead skin and a more rested and youthful appearance. Final results will appear within a few months after surgery.
What Is Recovery Like after a Brow Lift?
Most patients return to work and normal activities within 10 to 14 days after brow lift surgery. However, you may be instructed to avoid strenuous activity for up to 4 weeks.
Temporary bruising and swelling are normal after a brow lift and should begin to subside on the fourth or fifth day after surgery. Dr. Alexander will prescribe medication to control any discomfort you may experience after the procedure. Using cold packs around the eyes for the first 48 hours can help reduce swelling. While you are healing, it is important to:
- • Drink plenty of fluids
- • Sleep with your back and head elevated for 5 to 7 days after surgery
- • Move and walk to increase circulation
- • Avoid strenuous activity and heavy lifting
- • Well hidden incisions and minimal scarring
- • More refreshed, rejuvenated appearance
- • Eyebrows better positioned for facial balance and a youthful look
- • Smoothes vertical frown lines between the eyebrows and horizontal lines on the forehead
- • Alleviates tension in the forehead muscles
- • Creates a more pleasant and approachable appearance
- • Corrects droopy or uneven eyebrows
- • Can be combined with other procedures, such as eyelid surgery and a facelift
- • Few potential risks and complications
- • Long-lasting, natural-looking results
What Are the Benefits of a Brow Lift?
Because of continuous muscle movement, the forehead is one of the first areas where wrinkles appear. Dr. Ashlin Alexander performs brow lift surgery as an effective technique to correct cosmetic issues in the upper portion of the face.
Benefits of a brow lift in Toronto include:
A brow lift is an excellent procedure to refresh the appearance in patients with droopy eyebrows, frown lines, and horizontal grooves in the forehead. It is designed to minimize signs of aging that make a person appear tired, angry, or sad, and older.
Results of a brow lift typically include smoother forehead skin, more youthfully positioned eyebrows, raised eyelids, and a younger, more energetic appearance. This procedure can be combined with eyelid surgery, a facelift, or both for more comprehensive facial rejuvenation. Schedule a consultation with Dr. Ashlin Alexander in Toronto to find out if brow lift surgery is recommended for you.
Neuromodulators (e.g. BOTOX Cosmetic®) and injectable fillers have advanced to such a degree that youthfulness can be beautifully restored to the forehead and brow region. But they must be used together, like salt and pepper, in the right combination and in the hands of an experienced surgeon. Results are evident quickly, downtime is minimal and the outcome is always natural.
Dr. Alexander’s expertise in the anatomy of the face allows him to surgically lift the forehead and brow region carefully and conservatively (Brow Lift), achieving natural enhancement to this region. Unlike many other surgeons in this field, Dr. Alexander’s expertise in Hair Restoration Surgery gives him extra tools with which to revitalize a receding hairline, or re-shape the eyebrows.
Dr. Alexander will perform a comprehensive and global analysis of your face to determine which brow-lifting techniques are best for you.